Sunday, March 21, 2010

Chocolate Strawberry Tall Cake


This cake is fantastic! My step-mom sent it to me, having had it at my brother-in-law's mom's house. The recipe is from recipezaar.com. It is super easy if you use a cake mix, but I found a perfectly chocolate chocolate cake recipe that I usually use instead.


Ingredients:

1 package chocolate cake mix

1 (8 oz) package cream cheese

3/4 c milk

1 (3 1/2 oz) package vanilla instant pudding mix

1 (8 oz) carton frozen whipped topping, such a Cool Whip, thawed (I use a 12 oz carton though)

2 c strawberries, sliced or chopped

confectioner's sugar



1. Prepare the cake according to package directions, using three greased and floured 9 in round pans (I use only two, otherwise it has a tendancy to slide around, especially if traveling)

2. Bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

3. Cool for 10 minutes, then remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely

4. In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese until fluffy

5. Combine milk and pudding mix, then add to cream cheese and mix well.

6. Fold in whipped topping and strawberries.

7. Reserve a large dollop of filling for garnish

8. Place one layer of the cake on a serving plate.

9. Spread with half of the filling. Do not cover sides of cake, just the toop as this is made to look like a torte, not a frosted cake.

10. Repeat layers

11. Top with remaining cake, then dust with confectioner's sugar

12. Mound the reserved filling in the center and put a fanned whole strawberry on top

13. Store in the refrigerator.


*Don't make this too far ahead of time with the strawberries. The berries will bleed into the filling and become mushy. It will taste great, but look strange.*


*You can also use raspberries*


Since I only use two layers, I eliminate #11 and 12. You can see from the picture how it turns out for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment