Tuesday, September 15, 2009

TWD-Flaky Apple Turnovers

I swore that this week, I was going to do these early. No such luck. Time just gets away from me, then all off a sudden it is Tuesday (usually at around 8 pm) and I have yet to bake that week's treat. Here I am again, it is 11 pm and I just finished the apple turnovers.

I had problems problems problems with these! I just realized that my pastry cutter was lost in the move, went out to buy another and none of the three stores I checked had any! I finally just decided to do the pastry by fingers, which seemed to turn out ok. Next, the rolling of the pastry dough was tough! It took me forever. When I finally rolled it out to get ready to cut the circles, I felt a popping pain in my abdomen every time I went to roll. Ugh. It really hurts! Anyway, then I realized that I didn't have anything big enough to cut the right sized circles, and I hadn't rolled the dough quite to 1/8 inch. Oh well. I just cut smaller circles, then topped on with the other. Granted, I couldn't make as many, but this would just have to do.

They came out of the oven and I had to try one while the insides were still molten hot. They were flaky, but the dough never really puffed up. They were still good, but I think with my thick and double dough, the dough to filling ratio was a little off.

I am happy to report that when my husband gets back in about a month, I will try these again, as he will be very pleased to eat my failures or successes. Thank you, Julie of Someone’s in the Kitchen, for broadening my horizons once again. I will post pictures soon. Also, if you would like the recipe, please visit Julie's blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment