Tuesday, September 1, 2009

TWD Espresso Cheesecake Brownies




Oh my goodness! Melissa of Life in a Peanut Shell chose Espresso Cheesecake Brownies, pages 104 and 105 this week. I have to say, Melissa is my TWD savior!

When I was looking through the September recipes, I was thinking of all the different variations that are possible with this recipe. Even yesterday, I was still unsure of what I was going to do. Today, it was very clear: make the recipe like it is written. I know, this sounds like an easy enough conclusion to come to, but with all of the talented bakers in this group, I would like to do something a little different. By reading some of the notes on this recipe, I saw that many of them didn't do the topping but I figured that Dorie knows her stuff, so I included it in mine.

Ok, back up a few steps. First off, I can't ever find bittersweet chocolate. Semi-sweet? Yes. Unsweetened? Sure. Never bittersweet. I ended up doing a combination of semi-sweet and German chocolate for the brownie part. Other than that, the recipe went off without a hitch, although I only have 8x8 pans and not 9x9, so I just baked it for a little longer.

I cut it after the kids went to sleep so my husband and I could enjoy it together rather than rushing off to get the kids' teeth brushed and them to bed. These are amazing! I am a huge fan of tiramisu, and so the combination of espresso, chocolate and a nice light icing sounded wonderful. I think I am in heaven with these! I would love to be a good person at this point and take some to my son's teachers at the German kindergarten tomorrow, but really, there is no sharing these. My husband is even lucky to have gotten some. There is just enough texture difference between the brownie and the lighter cheesecake, and with the slight tang of the sour cream in the frosting, they were better than I could've dreamed. Thank you so much, Melissa! I love you!

Oh, and one last thing. It has become perfectly clear to me that I have no idea how to take a good picture of food. Hey, I'm in this thing for the baking, not the photography, right?

1 comment: