Tuesday, August 25, 2009

TWD-Creamiest Lime Cream Meringue Pie


Linda of Tender Crumb decided on Creamiest Lime Cream Meringue Pie on pages 337-339. I am not a big fan of lime, but love the scent. I always do the recipe anyway because I want to learn to like new things and sometimes I know that my tastes have changed a bit from the last time I tried certain things.

First of all, and I know better than to do this, I just didn't read the recipe all the way through before getting started. I thought I could make this whole pie after the kids went to bed one night before my husband had to leave the next day. Boy, was I wrong! I got as far as the refrigerating the crust before I had to call it a night. Woops!

So, the next morning, I tried again. My crust went terribly wrong somewhere. I think I didn't work quickly enough in rolling it out, then didn't refrigerate it again before putting it in the pie plate and baking it. I checked on it in the oven, and the sides had slumped down like a kid in high school who didn't do their homework and didn't want to get noticed. I was going to make another one so that it could be perfect, but then decided to just share my failure with the world.

Then I got to work on the filling. I had six limes, but they didn't produce enough juice so I just added more zest to make up for it. I didn't have any trouble getting it to 180 degrees, so I was safe there.

I made the meringue with no trouble at all, finished it off, then couldn't wait for it to really set before trying it. It was still not quite set, but still pretty good. Unfortunately, I was the only one in the house willing to eat such a treat, so I still have a lot of the pie left. My husband comes home tomorrow, though, and even though it won't be as good as the first day, he will still enjoy it.

I did leave out about half of the butter in the filling. Oh my, this pie had SO MUCH butter in it! I may make this again if our friends come up here, but otherwise probably not. I wonder how everyone else did!

2 comments:

  1. Your picture looks great! This was one complicated pie...I agree. I hope the pie holds up for Jon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you decided to try this recipe...TWD has definitely gotten me to experiment with recipes that are out of my comfort zone, and with really pleasant outcomes.

    thanks for baking along with me this week!

    ReplyDelete